Saturday, February 14, 2009

Week #9, thing #23--Finis!

In my library, I have a laminated page from an EGM magazine, which is a paid advertisement from a man who was sentenced for videogame piracy. (The ad is part of carrying out his sentence.) I show this to many of my students who hold the position that nothing is wrong unless you get caught: cheating, dodging copyright, anything, in short. And the cut & paste culture of students on the web is their practiced community of "I'm right as long as you don't catch me!" (And then they argue that it was the other kid who copied them...) We all face it.
I keep a manual of what constitutes fair use, and what does not. But I also believe that the work I do should be shared by whoever likes it well enough to want to use it. I suppose I'm a creative commons kind of girl. But, it's also not my paycheck.

My favorite parts of this were wikis and LibraryThing. I liked reading the other linked blogs on the course page, and reading the histories on the wiki pages. I think that I will like the other tools when I have a need for them, but without a defined purpose, it's hard to choose what they should do.

I'm glad I stuck it out, when I thought I had left it too long to come back and finish. I would have missed out on some good stuff.

No comments: